Welcome

Welcome to my A2 media coursework blog, my name is Alice Cahill (0130)
I'm working in A2 Production Group 1 with Gavin Fraser (0245), Mahalia John (0345) and Kayvon Nabijou (0610)
Within the sidebar of my blog you can access a live link to The Latymer Media Music Video Blog, the archive to all of my posts and the labels to the A2 Preliminary Task, A2 Research & Planning, A2 Construction and A2 Evaluation

Thank you for taking your time to look at my blog.

MUSIC VIDEO

^Our Music Video
some_text
^Our Digipack Album Cover (Top to bottom, left to right: inside back, inside front, back cover, front cover)

Our Website

^Click Image to go to Our Website in a New Tab

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Influential Music Videos, Album Covers and Websites

Music Videos

'Jump Into The Fog' by The Wombats



Screenshot taken from the 1975 music video 'Girls'

I like this video mainly for the camerawork. When the band is being filmed playing the song, it isn't taken as a standard wide shot from showing the whole area, such as in the video 'Girls' by The 1975. The Wombats are filmed from a high angle shot, low angle shot, profile, long shot, mid shot, close up and extreme close up, most of it being hand-held.




'Still' by Daughter



I like the use of mise-en-scene, camerawork and editing to form a narrative. I would want to include a narrative in my video maybe similar to this. Even though the band is playing their song on the TV in the shot, I would prefer it to cutaway to a full shot of the band playing because I don't really want to make an entirely conceptual video.

'By The Way' by Red Hot Chili Peppers



I like the fast paced editing and shaky, handheld camera filming of this video to match the song. If I do a fast paced song, I would take influence from the editing and style this video. I also like the lighting set up they used for the live performance scenes. The narrative they have is comical and matches the band's personality, which I thought was quite inspiring.

'Afterglow' by Wilkinson



Wilkinson's music video inspired me because it is so different from other conventional music videos, so it intrigued me to watch the whole thing.

'Dani California' by Red Hot Chili Peppers



I like the use of postmodern and inter-textual references throughout the video to portray the different eras of music throughout the years. I would like to include postmodern and inter-textual references in my music video because it makes the video more engaging because the viewer may look out specifically for references when they're watching it.

Album Covers

Personally, I like when an album cover subtly illustrates the genre, whilst looking appealing but striking, for example the Paramore album cover subtly portrays the punk-rock/pop-punk genre with the loud orange and blue colours and messy font along with the white and black scribbles and spray paint, which shows off the chaos and excitement of the genre.

I think a good album cover should also have an eye-catching colour scheme and a front cover which I would want to put up on my bedroom wall, whilst being simple and not too cluttered. An example I like is The Vaccines' album, which has a simple image in the centre and the band name in bold letters above it. The colour scheme is black, white, red and pink which is simple but also striking.

What Did You Expect from The Vaccines
Lost Reworks from Trentemøller
Banks from Goddess
The 1975 from The 1975
Still Into You (Single) from Paramore

Lastly I think that the artist's name should be advertised clearly in bold, especially if they are a new, upcoming artist who no one have heard about, so that audiences know who they are if they ever see their album cover. The font on Goddess' album Banks is in a very large, quirky font, which is her distinct logo as we can see from the front of each of her albums.



Websites

Two Door Cinema Club Website
I like the website for Two Door Cinema Club because it is easy to navigate with the toolbar at the top, it has a calm, pastel colour scheme and uses only two fonts (not including their logo) on the whole website, which makes it stylish and easy to read.

Biffy Clyro Website
I like the Biffy Clyro website because it was minimalist and also kept a clear colour scheme and font style. I also liked it because of the non-linear organisation of the posts on the 'Fan Feed' and 'Music' page, which makes browsing easier.

Both websites contained clear links to news, upcoming gigs, their videos, their music, merchandise and social media sites, which is necessary for a fully functioning and conventional artist website.

No comments:

Post a Comment